Easter Devilled EggsCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
6 large free-range eggs
1 tsp of English mustard
1 tsp of salt
1 small pinch of white pepper
1 dash of white wine vinegar
A dash of chipotle tabasco to taste.
Smoked paprika or cayenne for garnish.
Chives for decorating.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, carefully lower the eggs in and continue to boil for 30 seconds. Cover tightly with a lid, reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 11 minutes.
- Prepare an ice bath for when they’re boiled, this I assure you will help them slip their shells neatly. Drain the eggs and let them sit in the ice water for 10 minutes, then remove their shells carefully, once they’re cool enough, take a small slice off the bottom so they sit straight. Then, slice off the lid and carefully scoop out the yolk, some yolk will still remain inside, but I still find that delicious.
- Mash the yolks first with a spoon to get rid of any lumps, then blend with the mayonnaise and seasonings. You can give a quick blitz in the food processor with a dash of oil to loosen but proceed with caution as you don’t want to end up with a super-smooth egg purée. A small texture of egg ‘knubble’ is preferable.
- It’s important to taste at this stage if you fancy it creamier spicier adjust with your ingredients – devil it the way you will.
- Pile the mixture into the piping bag with a fluted tip – choose one with a fairly wide opening. Or if you don’t have a tip, just snip the end when ready and squeeze into the egg white hollows.
- Finish with a delicate sprinkle of smoked paprika, and chives.
- To serve I’ve placed mine in a china egg holder, but an egg tray would be just as fun for Easter.
- Why not try some of these delicious topping options, to turn your Devilled Eggs into the perfect Easter nibble.
- Crispy Bacon & Chive
- few rashers cooked until crispy, then snipped into slivers with a sprinkling of chives.
- Crispy Chorizo
- Two slices of thickly cut cooking chorizo, cut into small cubes. Sizzled in a frying pan until glistening.
- Smoked Salmon
- Tear the salmon into ribbons, and decorate with a little sprig of dill, and a mini caper
- Try some delicious topping options, to turn your Devilled Eggs into the perfect Easter nibble.