Nurturing, filling and healthy, this vegan porridge with a delicious fruity compote makes the perfect comforting and warming breakfast.
Vegan Porridge with Blackberry and Orange CompoteCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
50g rolled porridge oats
350ml Almond Milk
A small pinch of salt
Sugar to taste
- For Blackberry and Orange Compote
- (This will make more than you need but will keep well for a week refrigerated. Absolutely delicious drizzled on anything from ice cream to pancakes).
Juice of an one orange
1 tsp of cornflour
350g frozen blackberries
2 tbsp granulated sugar
60ml maple syrup
- For topping
A sprinkling of Pistachios and flaked almonds
A handful of blackberries and blueberries
- For the compote, put the juice, blackberries, cornflour and sugar into a saucepan, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, making sure to stir often until the sauce thickens and becomes a ‘syrupy’ consistency.
- After 10-12 minutes or so add the maple syrup and leave to cool.
- When the compote is cooled, put the porridge into a saucepan and pour over the almond milk.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 6-7 mins, stirring from time to time to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Season with the salt, and sugar to taste.
- Drizzle with compote and sprinkle with the nuts and berries
- For the Blackberry and Orange Compote – This will make more than you need but will keep well for a week refrigerated. Absolutely delicious drizzled on anything from ice cream to pancakes.