Roasted Rhubarb Portuguese Custard TartsCourse: DessertDifficulty: Medium
400g of fresh rhubarb trimmed and washed
60g caster sugar
300ml of double cream
100g caster sugar
4 egg yolks
80ml cold water
1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry – remove from fridge 10 mins before ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 180c
- Cut the rhubarb into little finger length pieces, and place in a roasting tin.
- Sprinkle over the caster sugar, pour over the grenadine and cook for 25 minutes.
- Remove the rhubarb from the syrup and allow to cool before using – make sure to keep the leftover syrup, it will make a superb rhubarb steeped syrup for cocktails!
- In a small jug mix the cornflour and the cold water until combined, set aside.
- In a saucepan combine the double cream and sugar, stir with a whisk over a medium-high heat continuously until the mixture starts to steam.
- Beat the egg yolks briefly and add to the cream mixture, whisk vigorously over the heat lifting off occasionally to check that the eggs aren’t overcooking. When the mixture steams again add the cornflour mixture and whisk constantly until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from the heat and immediately lay a layer of cling film over the custard to prevent a skin from forming. Allow to cool, and in the meantime prepare the pastry cases.
- Remove the room temperature pastry from the packaging and longest length facing you roll up into a long sausage shape.
- Cut into small finger size pieces and flatten each one with the palm of your hand firmly.
- On a floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll each disc into a 4” diameter.
- Push each disc into a muffin tray, pushing up the sides a little so the pastry is flush of the tin.
- In each pastry, spoon a little of the cooled Crème Patissiere, followed by a chunk of rhubarb, top with a little more of the Crème Patissiere, followed by one more chunk of rhubarb. Be careful to not overfill – the custard will puff a little in the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until golden, leave to cool in the tin, when cool enough to handle remove to a cooling wire rack.
- 1 pack of ready rolled puff pastry – remove from fridge 10 mins before ready to use.